Re: mesopotamica influence (was REB: PERFUME COUNTER)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: mesopotamica influence (was REB: PERFUME COUNTER)
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 19:09:22 -0700 (MST)

>However, nearly all of the ancestors of BCP had undergone 5 or more
>generations of selection in the American Midwest, which should have greatly
>reduced any tendencies towards tenderness derived from the mesopotamica
>strain in their ancestry.
Jeff, LLoyd et al: Tell me if I have followed this thread: I mesopotamica
in a plant's genetic heritage makes the iris more likely to stay green and
continue growing in mild winters, and more likely to suffer frost damage in
sterner winters. Is that the idea?
If so, can we Southerners with our mild winters go out into our gardens and
"spot" the I mesopotamica g-g-g-g-g-babies by their lavish winter growth?

For instance, I am looking at a massive clump of LATIN HIDEAWAY that has
multiplied and thickened like nobody's business since September. To trace
its ancestry would take an hour or more of thumbing R&I checklists, which
I'm not keen to do. Can I posit from the plant's behavior that it must have
mesopotamica genes? Or are there other ancestors that produce the same urge
to grow after the winter cooldown (and thus confound glib analysis such as
I am readying myself to pronounce the first time a fellow iris lover visits
my garden and spots that mess of LH)?

Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level,
average rainfall about 50 inches (more than 60" in '97)
average relative humidity (at 6 a.m.) 84%.
moderate winters, hot summers ... but lots of seesaw action in all seasons