Re: OT-BIO: Dennis Kramb

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT-BIO: Dennis Kramb
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 19:31:15 -0700 (MST)

Dennis Kramb wrote:

> This is my first post to the listserv.  I found out about it from attending
> a meeting (my first one) at the local iris club today (Miami Valley Iris
> Society).  I was encouraged to join the listserv because of my interest in
> species iris native to Ohio, and also because of my interest in arilbreds
> which aren't particulalry popular here due to the wet climate.

Hi Dennis and welcome to Iris-L.  For success growing Arilbreds in your
climate I would first try growing the quarterbreds.  3/4 TB, 1/4 Aril.
Since they contain less aril they should grow better for you.  Of course
the less aril the less aril characteristics also.  Ok, try a few 1/2
breds also.

> I'm currently a member of HIPS, AIS, ASI, RBIS, MVIS, and soon to be SIGNA.
>
> Being new to the world of irises, I'm full of questions and ideas.  I have
> done lots of reading, but since I only began planting irises last year, my
> experience & knowledge is quite limited (I have still yet to see a
> rhyzomatous iris bloom in my own garden!).

If you don't have it already get a copy of "The World of Iris" from the
American Iris Society.  You will gain much knowledge from it.

> Regarding arils...has anyone attempted crossing them with water-loving
> irises such as Lousianas or Japanese?  Can it be done??  I'm no genetic
> engineer, but I imagine that if such a hybridization was viable, it would
> produce a variety that is more tolerant of Ohio's wet summer climate.  I
> haven't found any mention of crossing arils with anything but TB specimens
> in any books or webpages I've read.

I have never heard of an aril/arilbred being crossed with Louisianas or
Japanese.  I think the more scientific minded of the list may be able to
help you more, but I'm all for T&E (Trial & Error).

> I have aspirations of hybridizing.  Some things I would love to develop
> include...green flowered irises...irridescent flowered irises...and of
> course arilbreds that will thrive in wet temperate zones.  Whether or not
> these things are even possible, well, I suppose only time & perserverance
> will tell.  But if they exist already please tell me where I can get them!

There is a hybridizer in Southern California who is trying to develop a
green reblooming iris.  Richard C. Richards of Corona.  He has been
hybridizing for this for about 5 years.  I also have made a number of
crosses for green.  The greenist iris I grow is "Evergreen Hideaway".
"Green & Gifted" is another good one.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California....looking forward to a week of dry weather.
Zone 8