OT-BIO: Ann & Ernie Henson

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT-BIO: Ann & Ernie Henson
  • From: ernie henson <erni@midwest.net>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 21:43:29 -0700 (MST)

Hello, everyone, We've been enjoying iris-l since 2/13 and because you
aren't aware of us, it seems somewhat like we're eavesdropping. Maybe it's
a good time to make our presence known. We live in south-central IL, about
300 mi south of Chicago and 80 mi east of St Louis, MO. We're in zone 5,
just bordering on zone 6. Our winters are usually fairly mild...summers,
hot & dry. Spring appears to be arriving early this year...tulips and
daffodils up 6", forming buds. I'm sure  we can depend on our usual heavy
spring rains and late killing frost about time the magnolia soulangiana
bloom. We grow about 500 irises, mainly TBs, some MEDs,SIBs,LAs,SPUs plus a
smattering of ARs (which we plan to expand this year). Several of our
irises rebloom. Ernie is enamored of the dramatic dark TBs such as TITANS
GLORY, and I love the SAs...and all the rest. MESMERIZER and SPECIAL
FEATURE...many of Monty Byers' and Ben Hager's irises take my breath away.
We also appreciate IMMORTALITY and several other Zurbrigg creations that
perform faithfully for us. We belong to AIS,SIB society,RIS,HIPS(love that
one) and recently joined ASI. Our irises are planted in raised beds with
liberal applications of compost and alfalfa pellets. We fight leaf spot but
have never had an iris borer. Our experience with PCs is virtually
nonexistant so bear with us...if we "do it wrong", tell us & we'll try
again. (Now, John, it's not that easy to chat on Fri nites...your "dragons"
are standing between us and the IRC. I fear, But we'll keep at it.) We also
raise Royal Mute Swans and the signets hatch just at TB bloomtime...our fav
time of the year. Now, I hope I'mm smart enough to get this sent. PCs=a
humbling experience.  Ann & Ernie