Re: Is it Spring Yet?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Is it Spring Yet?
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 23:31:09 -0700 (MST)

TK & Anna Meade wrote:
> All winter, I've just been reading my Iris-L in digest form, planning my
> purchases and garden daydreaming...then today I spotted a patch of
> yellow in my still winterkilled garden. A  bunch of Iris danfordiae! I
> got them in the late fall at the local BJs wholesale Club for
> practically nothing!! They are blooming their tiny heads off...can
> spring be far behind and a better question, when did spring start coming
> right after autumn? Anna, lurking in NJ

Anna -- It may be another early spring. Here, jonquils and crocuses are
blooming in my yard, and daffodils in some of my neighbors' warmer
spots. I began pulling the pine straw mulch off of my newly-planted iris
today. Plenty of aphids and some crickets in evidence and (fingers
crossed) what looks like BORER ACTIVITY! Aaagh! The commercial varieties
and seedlings planted and transplanted last year did not die back at
all. Some fans are better than a foot tall. I'm afraid we're in for a
buggy year. Time to start spraying (for critters and leaf spot), if we
get any respite from the rain.