Latin Hideaway (was mesopotamica influence)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Latin Hideaway (was mesopotamica influence)
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 08:08:03 -0700 (MST)

Jeff writes:
>So, to answer your question, I would say, yes - a modern TB that lacks
>winter dormancy most probably inherited that trait from I. mesopotamica or
>a near congener such as RICARDI (I suppose there is also the possibility of
>some aril ancestry to consider), but another cultivar with as much
>mesopotamica in its ancestry could be rock solid winter dormant because
>genes influencing the lack of dormancy have been weeded out over time by
>chance and/or selection.

Thank you for this explanation!
So, the proper way to attempt to bedazzle garden visitors with pretended
technical knowledge would be to point out LATIN HIDEAWAY's *expression* of
probable I. mesopotamica ancestry.
I like that even better than attributing its greenness to ancient genes.
The more qualifiers in the sentence, the smarter I will sound. ;->

A fellow Southerner with impressive irisarian credentials (OK, it was
Walta) reports that he dumped LH after it produced huge clumps that barely
ever bloomed. Now that I think on it, LH didn't bloom at all for me last
year, and the clump was two years old then. Perhaps there is something more
complicated behind all that winter greenery than just a reluctance to go to
sleep? Perhaps the plant finds vegetative reproduction more efficient than
the bloomstalk method?

Anyone have further light to shed on LH and its rapid growth and sparse
flowering? Does your experience differ? Have you seen other TBs behave the
same way?

celia
storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level,
average rainfall about 50 inches (more than 60" in '97)
average relative humidity (at 6 a.m.) 84%.
moderate winters, hot summers ... but lots of seesaw action in all seasons