Re: Latin Hideaway (was mesopotamica influence)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Latin Hideaway (was mesopotamica influence)
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:21:22 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey wrote:

> A fellow Southerner with impressive irisarian credentials (OK, it was
> Walta) reports that he dumped LH after it produced huge clumps that barely
> ever bloomed. Now that I think on it, LH didn't bloom at all for me last
> year, and the clump was two years old then. Perhaps there is something more
> complicated behind all that winter greenery than just a reluctance to go to
> sleep? Perhaps the plant finds vegetative reproduction more efficient than
> the bloomstalk method?
>
> Anyone have further light to shed on LH and its rapid growth and sparse
> flowering? Does your experience differ? Have you seen other TBs behave the
> same way?
>

> celia
> storey@aristotle.net
> Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
> -----------------------------------
	I'll add two more that do the vegetative thing.  One is from NE,
and I doubt that it has any mesopotamic blood...SILICON PRAIRIE...huge
clumps for me and my fellow irisarian ten miles down the road but has
never bloomed for us.  We both saw it in Omaha and fell for it.  CITY
LIGHTS (CA) is the other and I have given it to just about everybody in
our club.  We have never seen it bloom, and it is up for the Dykes.  I saw
it in Fort Worth at the '93 Convention, and it was outstanding.  I wish
they could all do like ALABAMA BOUND or  MUTED MELODY - make big clumps,
produce an abundance of bloomstalks, and have nice increase for the next
year.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8