RE: classification of crested irises, was Bearded-beardless cross

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: classification of crested irises, was Bearded-beardless cross
  • From: "Mark, Maureen" <Mark.Maureen@fin.gc.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:58:48 -0700 (MST)

Your suggestion makes sense if cross-fertility is a major consideration in
classification. But it seems to me that other factors outweigh
cross-fertility in botanical classifications.  But then again, plants seem
to get reclassified rather frequently which suggests that the rules are
constantly changing.

What would the new groups be called?  We couldn't use pogon and apogon
anymore.  Maybe it's easier to leave it as is.

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)