Re: CULT: Survival out of the Ground

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Survival out of the Ground
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:32:11 -0700 (MST)

Mary reports,
>Speaking of neglected, mistreated irises, I have some leftovers from summer
>dividing that were meant for the compost heap, but I left them under a tree
>and forgot about them.  They are now, of course, sprouting--even the ones
>that are several inches off of the ground at the top of the heap.

This morning while moving the giant green garbage can the city of Little
Rock has so thoughtfully provided to each and every household here, I
looked down and noticed two little rhizome fragments that somehow fell
underneath the trash can. Sprouted, of course. Roots working into the
packed ground.
I don't even want to mention what's going on in the old compost heap.
Dahliaman, if you want a bunch of tiny little unnamed sprouted TB
fragments, I'll send them to you!

Bob Ward told me yesterday he once saw a Louisiana rhizome that had been
dropped on a sidewalk and forgotten. This rhizome had sent roots across the
concrete in search of soil, and it was growing like mad. It was a humid
climate, but still!

Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level,
average rainfall about 50 inches (more than 60" in '97)
average relative humidity (at 6 a.m.) 84%.
moderate winters, hot summers ... but lots of seesaw action in all seasons