Criminalized Poppies (was Iris Compatable Plants)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Criminalized Poppies (was Iris Compatable Plants)
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 18:56:28 -0700 (MST)

> Larry Doucette (MA) wrote:
>  For those interested
> > in growing poppies - be aware of the DEA ruling - - - ( See April =
> > 1997 issue of Harpers Magazine - I read it and just about gave
> > up growing Poppies )

And Rima replied:
> since I don't have that magazine, would you share the info?  I love
> poppies and planned to plant them this year with the tbs.

The poppies in question are the ornamental forms of double opium poppy.
Shirley poppies, Oriental poppies (the perennial kind), and other kinds are
not affected. As I recall the article Larry referred to, the author planted
the ornamental opium poppies and then wrote about it, either in print or on
the Net, thereby drawing the wrath of the minions of the Law upon his head
- bigtime! The catch is it is not illegal to possess the seeds (otherwise
no poppyseed rolls), but it is illegal to plant them.

California poppies are the only ones growing here