Re: Latin Hideaway (was mesopotamica influence)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Latin Hideaway (was mesopotamica influence)
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 19:39:01 -0700 (MST)

Walter Moores wrote:

> 	I'll add two more that do the vegetative thing.  One is from NE,
> and I doubt that it has any mesopotamic blood...SILICON PRAIRIE...huge
> clumps for me and my fellow irisarian ten miles down the road but has
> never bloomed for us.  We both saw it in Omaha and fell for it.  CITY
> LIGHTS (CA) is the other and I have given it to just about everybody in
> our club.  We have never seen it bloom, and it is up for the Dykes.  I
saw
> it in Fort Worth at the '93 Convention, and it was outstanding.

Walter,

Silicon Prairie - Chartreuse Ruffles - Louise Watts - Sea of Stars -
Marquesan Skies - seedling - Bluebird Blue - Helen McGregor - Purissima -
Conquistador - I. mesopotamica. QED

I very much doubt that you could find a recent TB (with a traceable
pedigree) that is not descended from I. mesopotamica. BTW, this is not the
only path for mesopotamica in SILICON PRAIRIE's pedigree, but you will note
that nothing closer up than PURISSIMA was bred in a mild winter climate, so
those bad ol' meso genes must have got dropped along the way.

SILICON PRAIRIE has been a mediocre performer here. CITY LIGHTS grows well,
but tends to bloom too early (gets frosted).

cwalters@digitalpla.net