Re: OT-BIO: Dennis Kramb

>This is my first post to the listserv.  I found out about it from attending
>a meeting (my first one) at the local iris club today (Miami Valley Iris
>Society).  I was encouraged to join the listserv because of my interest in
>species iris native to Ohio, and also because of my interest in arilbreds
>which aren't particulalry popular here due to the wet climate.
>
>I'm currently a member of HIPS, AIS, ASI, RBIS, MVIS, and soon to be SIGNA.
>
>Being new to the world of irises, I'm full of questions and ideas.  I have
>done lots of reading, but since I only began planting irises last year, my
>experience & knowledge is quite limited (I have still yet to see a
>rhyzomatous iris bloom in my own garden!).
>
>Regarding arils...has anyone attempted crossing them with water-loving
>irises such as Lousianas or Japanese?  Can it be done??  I'm no genetic
>engineer, but I imagine that if such a hybridization was viable, it would
>produce a variety that is more tolerant of Ohio's wet summer climate.  I
>haven't found any mention of crossing arils with anything but TB specimens
>in any books or webpages I've read.
>
>I have aspirations of hybridizing.  Some things I would love to develop
>include...green flowered irises...irridescent flowered irises...and of
>course arilbreds that will thrive in wet temperate zones.  Whether or not
>these things are even possible, well, I suppose only time & perserverance
>will tell.  But if they exist already please tell me where I can get them!
>
>Sincerely,
>Dennis Kramb (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA)
Dear Dennis: Welcome! The idea of crossing arilbreds with water-loving
irises is inspired. Unfortunately it is also impossible. Bearded and
beardless will not
successfully cross. There is a cross between a bearded and a
crested,PAL-TEC, but such crosses usually will not set seed. Try your
arilbreds with those bearded iris that show the greatest tolerance for wet
conditions.Good luck. Lloyd Zurbrigg (Z88Keys).  Durham NC