Re: Is it Spring Yet?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Is it Spring Yet?
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 21:44:30 -0700 (MST)

Merrily A. Smith wrote:
> Omygoodness, I'd better get off the computer and into the garden, since
> Griff is only twenty minutes up the road from me.  Guess it's time to pull
> the pine branches off the irises.  But I wasn't sure, because as far as I
> can tell, most of them never really became fully dormant this winter.  My
> question now is, what about the sand I piled on to prevent heaving?  Does
> that just get cultivated in, or should it be removed.  Also, since it's time
> to start spraying, is it also time to start fertilizing?  And another thing,

Merrily -- I'd leave the sand on, as long as it isn't mounded on top of
the rhizome. If it is, just brush it aside until the rhizome barely
shows. Yes, I'd start spraying and fertilizing now. No, Cygon hasn't
diminished my crop of slugs perceptively. There are slug killers
available, but I think they may be hazardous to pets. Good luck in your
spring gardening!