Re: Criminalized Poppies (was Iris Compatable Plants)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Criminalized Poppies (was Iris Compatable Plants)
  • From: "Robert Pindell" <bobdell@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 22:40:49 -0700 (MST)

I have always enjoyed poppies, the big brilliant
red/orange ones that come back year after year.
My wife wants me to plant some daylilies for some
color after the iris quit.  I think that while I
am at it I will get some poppies going too.

As I recall the Harpers article the DEA types
were not all that interested in what the author
had until they figured out that the author KNEW
what he had and KNEW what to do with it if so
inclined.  It seemed, as I recall the article,
that the problem was not the possession of the
plant but the posession of both the plant and the
knowledge of what one could do with the plant.
Because the flowers of the opium poppy are so
attractive it seems logical that one could
innocently possess and grow the opium poppy for
the beauty of the flowers alone with absolutely
no knowledge of its potential "additional use."

I don't think that I will forgo planting poppies.
 But I am going to be very sure of the source of
my plants.

Robert E. Pindell

"Bach gave us God's Word,
Mozart gave us God's Laughter,
Beethoven gave us God's Fire,
God gave us Music that we might pray without

Famous quote  from a German opera house

> From: Jeff and Carolyn Walters
> To: Multiple recipients of list
> Subject: Criminalized Poppies (was Iris
Compatable Plants)
> Date: Monday, February 23, 1998 8:56 PM
> The poppies in question are the ornamental
forms of double opium poppy.
> Shirley poppies, Oriental poppies (the
perennial kind), and other kinds are
> not affected. As I recall the article Larry
referred to, the author planted
> the ornamental opium poppies and then wrote
about it, either in print or on
> the Net, thereby drawing the wrath of the
minions of the Law upon his head
> - bigtime! The catch is it is not illegal to
possess the seeds (otherwise
> no poppyseed rolls), but it is illegal to plant
> Jeff Walters in northern Utah  (USDA Zone 4,
Sunset Zone 2)