Re: Criminalized Poppies (was Iris Compatable Plants)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Criminalized Poppies (was Iris Compatable Plants)
  • From: ECPep@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 08:28:51 -0700 (MST)

<< The poppies in question are the ornamental forms of double opium poppy.
 Shirley poppies, Oriental poppies (the perennial kind), and other kinds are
 not affected. As I recall the article Larry referred to, the author planted
 the ornamental opium poppies and then wrote about it, either in print or on
 the Net, thereby drawing the wrath of the minions of the Law upon his head
 - bigtime! The catch is it is not illegal to possess the seeds (otherwise
 no poppyseed rolls), but it is illegal to plant them. >>

All may be so however, opium poppies are sold in many catalogs as papaver
somniferum and can be grown without fear.  Also sold as peony flowered poppy.
In my small conservative town opium poppies self seed and grow with abandon.
My garden is infested (happily) with the species form which flower among the
irises.  This, and other annual poppies, have very small root systems making
them ideal companion plants for siberian irises.

I cannot cite a source but I am sure you can't produce anything but compost
with these poppies in zone 4. The season is too short and too cool.

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, NY
zone 4