Cleaning up the list messages

Hello, again:

With my online genealogy interest, I have been on way too many of these =
e-mail discussion lists, so have gleaned a couple tips on how to post =
messages efficiently.

1)  Please do not quote entire message when you reply.  It is only =
necessary to select the sentence(s) that you are replying to, or =
sometimes a paragraph if it is necessary to convey the meaning of your =
comments.  I have unchecked the box that automatically quotes all of =
every message.  I once sent some (of his own) indiscreet words back to =
someone who was in an uptight situation; that was when I turned off the =
quote feature and I am now glad that I did for many other reasons!  If =
you want to leave the quote feature turned on, then please select and =
delete the material that you do not need to send back to all of us!

2)  Uncheck the box that says something like "send all messages to this =
recipient in ... rich text format."  That will eliminate the long bunch =
of encoding that shows up on some messages.  It took me quite awhile to =
figure out what I was doing in my MS Internet Exchange program that made =
this happen.  I started getting angry messages from list recipients =
about my "attachments" - which they probably were not? - and worries =
about viruses, etc., which were not the issue.

I subscribe to the Digest mode (and still get at least two batches a =
day!) so I have to scroll down through everything, and I may notice this =
stuff more than others.  It is just a (twice daily) inconvenience for =
me.  More importantly, we all need to do what we can to reduce the =
congestion on the internet; shortening our postings in these ways will =
help this a lot.

Thanks for bothering to read THIS net clutter!  <G>

David Shannon
(Already lost somewhere between newbie and webmaster!)