Re: Is it Spring Yet?

Griff, speaking to Merrily in DC said:

<<  Merrily -- I'd leave the sand on, as long as it isn't mounded on top of
the rhizome. If it is, just brush it aside until the rhizome barely  shows.>>

And I took most of my protective pine boughs off this weekend, Merrily.

<< Yes, I'd start spraying and fertilizing now>>

Griff, what borer activity are you seeing out there, precisely? I have some
chewed leaves on some potted stuff but I assumed I was seeing slug action. Its
found only on the potted stuff that wintered in the liriope under the
magnolia. How far advanced do you think things are?

The slug bait is effective and evil and is dangerous to pets. Use with great
caution. Also in a small urban garden you can end up attracting slugs from
great distances into the yard with it, as I learned one summer when I finally
realized there was no way I had that kind of natural slug population in that
amount of space.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond,Va, Zone 7
Henry Hall Henryanner@aol.com