OT: Two plants called "Vinca."

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT: Two plants called "Vinca."
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:43:14 -0700 (MST)

     This message is intended to clear up some confusion I accidentally
caused.  The Vinca plant I was referring to is more correctly called
Madagascar Periwinkle.  The botanical name is Catharanthus roseus.  This is
a shrubby annual that gets one to two feet tall, depending on variety.  It
is a heavy bloomer that sheds dead flowers on its own, and thus does not
need to be deadheaded.
     Under no circumstances would I recommend using the Vinca Diana Winship
mentioned as a companion plant for anything.  She was thinking of Vinca
minor, which is an aggressive perennial vine.  This species should be
restricted to steep partly shady banks and other difficult sites.
     Once again, I did not intend to cause this confusion.  I hope this
clarifies the issue.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, FL.