was: RE: Iris Compatible Plants

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: was: RE: Iris Compatible Plants
  • From: Teresa Cobb <teresa@rdgroup.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:55:16 -0700 (MST)

Thank you Bill.  I have printed out your "menu" and plan on trying all
courses!  Sounds delightful.
Teresa  zone5 ks

Bill wrote:
<<<   I would use only light-foliage perennials like columbines
mingled with the irises, or the aforementioned poppies, which don't
make a mass of foliage and quickly disappear after blooming.  I would
also make sure everything, especially the irises, has lots of space.

Almost all of my iris plantings are border-style.  The bearded irises
always near the front, with plenty of room around them.  The Siberians
to mix well with smaller hemerocallis.  Columbines and lilies are also
companions.  I also have a lot of seed-raised Alstroemerias; they
too rambunctious at first but die back completely after blooming.  At
back of the border, self-sown foxgloves dominate, replaced later in
summer by spider-flowers (Cleome; an almost too-aggressive
self-seeder) and Nicotiana sylvestris.  For persistant color, I use a
lot of coleus--named
varieties, not the seed-grown strains which are too dwarf and bloom
out too