Re: Iris Compatible Plants

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris Compatible Plants
  • From: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 17:31:58 -0700 (MST)

Vinca comes in two varieties - major and minor. Vinca minor is the ground
cover also known as periwinkle. I wouldn't expect it to be a good companion
for iris because of its tendency to spread. Vinca major is a bedding plant
that isn't very well known in the north. I saw a lot of it in Arizona last
spring. I'm assuming Bill is referring to Vinca Major? I can definitely see
it planted in spaces between iris.

BTW, a friend uses Shirley Poppies as companion plants for his iris. Since
they are self seeded plants, the result is rather messy. Not at all to my

Kay Cangemi
New York, USDA zone 5