Re: Iris Compatible Plants

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris Compatible Plants
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 17:59:22 -0700 (MST)

william b. cook wrote:
> Rima,
> > Yes, our days can get very warm -- up into the 80's altho the nights
> > stay cool.  Now I just have to find them somewhere.  do they have common
> > names?
>      Those 80 Degree temperatures in the day are even better for these
> plants.  The common name for the Vince is Madagascar Periwinkle.

>From Botanica...

VINCA MAJOR: This tenacious evergreen creeper from the Mediterranean has
mid-green, glossy leaves that are heart-shaped to pointed ovate.  Widely
spreading with an erect woody stem, it climbs as high as 10 feet.  The
brillian violet flowers, 2 inches across, are borne in late spring
through early fall.  drought and moderately frost resistant, it can also
be aggressive and invasive.  "Variegata" has leaves blotched and
margined creamy white and large lavender-blue flowers.  Zone 7-10.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8