Re: Iris Compatible Plants

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris Compatible Plants
  • From: ECPep@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:36:19 -0700 (MST)

In a message dated 98-02-24 16:26:26 EST, Bill Shear:

<<
 Are two different Vincas being confused here?  The Vinca Diana accurately
 describes sounds like Vinca minor (or major, with larger leaves), a
 perennial ground cover that indeed is the very devil to get rid of and
 which I would never plant with irises or any other plant. >>

Vinca minor has been mentioned elsewhere, on this list I think,  as a pest.
Here is a splendid example of a plant behaving quite differently in different
zones.

I have been talking to a patch of vinca minor (variegated form talks back) and
imploring it to do a little better. This a a glossy green, blue flowering
ground cover doing well in the deep shade. Frozen and buried in snow in winter
here it does not put out new growth until July.  It is certainly very common
and is present on many old properties.  Nevertheless, vinca minor and it's
cultivars are sold in every nursery in New York if you cannot beg a chunk from
a friend.

Maybe just once I would like to garden where solid frozen earth does not
occur.

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, NY
zone 4