Re: Cult I. Minutoaurea

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Cult I. Minutoaurea
  • From: Curt Marble <cmarble@tiac.net>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:49:17 -0700 (MST)

I called Barbara and Dave Schmieder for a chat about their experience with
I. minutoaurea.  Theirs has bloomed for the last three years, so I figured
they must know "the secret" of its cultivation.

According to David, he had planted in two locations to begin with, but then
moved the non-blooming piece to join its more successful sibling.  The "good
site" gets about 1/2 day of sun and the soil is the same as he uses for
Siberians, ie. cultivated as garden soil long ago, now reverting somewhat
toward woodland type.  It is in a slightly raised bed.  He does not recall a
midrib, nor any purple color at the base of the foliage.  I forgot to ask
whether the leaves continue to grow taller after bloom, but I seem to recall
noticing that, when I've visited their garden.

Kathy Marble
Harvard, MA   zone 5