Re: Iris Compatible Plants

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris Compatible Plants
  • From: The Hiltibidals <dutchman@fgi.net>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 19:54:38 -0700 (MST)

I have to share a true to life story:  In the year 1638, Thomas White, his
wife Martha, daughters Sarah and Mary, Sons Thomas and John arrived in
Massachusetts Bay Colony.  350 years later, several cousins began the long
and arduous task of tracing their ancestry - and in time, finally did so -
'meeting' Thomas, his second wife Susanna, his son Thomas - older and,
under the laws of Primogenitor, principle heir; and his son John - our
direct line ancestor whose descendants seemed to have been militia,
explorers, frontiersmen, ever moving westward.  We followed their
footsteps in the Revolution, as founders and finders of ever new
territories.  There were wonderful adventures to uncover.

In speaking by phone with a librarian at the University of Wisconson,
during this  quest, out of his mouth popped the fact that  Thomas White's
genealogy history had already been written!  And well it had!  The
descendents of Thomas White circa 1638 from another branch of the line had
done exhaustive research - and published a wonderful record - among the
many generations of that line,  and among many examples of accomplishment
and civic duty was one Thomas White, founder of the White Sewing Machine
Company.

In an era when families had numerous children, and in particular where
members of the family fearlessly struck out through wilderness in search of
their dreams, it is not surprising that even neighbors with a common
ancestry would never know each other.  My own great grandfather and most of
his adult and/or married sons and daughters homesteaded on the eastern
plains  of Colorado - my father was born there.   My Great-Great
grandfather,  Ansel Burton White, had been a Dr. in Indiana, and some of
our research details letters home his son George wrote while in the Civil
war before he was killed in Blount, Tennessee.

Clarence Greenleaf White's work with Iris is featured in the January AIS
bulletin.  Reading it was just a delight - its a wonderful new wrinkle to
add to the family history.  To be so honored for his work is his due - and
I make no claim on he or his accomplishments - but as I learn more and more
about Iris - and how to raise them, you can just imagine that I'm hoping
some small little shared gene kicks in SOON!
Sharon White-Hiltibidal