Re: Iris Compatible Plants

ECPep@aol.com wrote:

[snip]
> Vinca minor has been mentioned elsewhere, on this list I think,  as a pest.
> Here is a splendid example of a plant behaving quite differently in different
> zones.

Garden magazines love to warn of invasive plants to avoid & Vinca major
& minor are often mentioned but my experience has been much like
Claire's -- it pokes along & doesn't spread vigorously at all. The
funniest one, for me, has been Ribbon Grass (Phalaris arundinacea),
which garden writers in the US view with alarm. I got several starts
from a fellow mtn gardener who liked it's variegated presence in her
garden, as did I when I saw it -- I planted these starts in several
different places & circumstances of soil & sunlight & watched hopefully.
The plants all died within weeks. So much for invasiveness.

> Maybe just once I would like to garden where solid frozen earth does not
> occur.

Nah -- we wouldn't know how to act if plants came alive in February,
March or even early April. We'd just feel that something was terribly
wrong out there...

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado -- where my entire garden
appears dead, dead, dead at this time of year but one must have faith
that the miracle of life will occur yet again!