Book Review "Garden Bulbs for the South

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Book Review "Garden Bulbs for the South
  • From: cschrote@qntm.com (Chad Schroter)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:14:44 -0700 (MST)

        I recently acquired "Garden Bulbs for the South" from Amazon.com for
~$16. It contains a fairly large section dealing with iris and irid relatives
and their treatment in a warm climate. Though little info is presented about
specific modern hybrids, he recommends trying remontant beardeds in areas which
have problems with erwinia. The information on bearded and beardless species in
particular is pretty extensive. In general he presents cultural requirements,
plant hardiness, pictures, plant history, location and availability and garden
usage/companion planting suggestions for each type or species of bulbous plant
in a non-textbook format that I found a pleasure to read. Even though I am a
resident of California and not technically in "the South" I find this book
useful in trying marginal plants for my area.

Chad Schroter in Los Gatos CA , where there is hope for almost a week without
any heavy rain.