yellow japanese and hybrids

Walter A. Moores wrote:
>       Probably your friend has seen the ad for a 'yellow JI' in the
> Springhill catalog.  It is a yellow pseudacorus.
>         Walter Moores
>         Enid Lake, MS 7/8
People always ask me for the yellow Japanese, they think that because
Pseudacorus grows in water, its a jap. I think that the problem is far
beyond just the spring Hill catolog, but that is only going to
perpetuate it. There certainly are no true japs that are actually yellow
that I know of yet. There are, though, a number of crosses of ensata and
pseudacorus having a yellow flower and somewhat a-chlorophylic foliage.
Some are fertile, some are not. Chance Beauty and Hatsuho are two and I
have another with a japanse name that I can't remember just now. I would
recommend them for their yellow color during (early) jap bloom time,
culture can be a little tricky, though, in some situations. My Hatsuho
died after living for three years as one six inch tall fan.  On the
other hand, Kathy Marble had a huge clump of it. Anyway.