Re: Iris Compatible Plants

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris Compatible Plants
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 18:34:42 -0700 (MST)

 The funniest one, for me, has been Ribbon Grass (Phalaris arundinacea),
> which garden writers in the US view with alarm. I got several starts
> from a fellow mtn gardener who liked it's variegated presence in her
> garden, as did I when I saw it -- I planted these starts in several
> different places & circumstances of soil & sunlight & watched hopefully.
> The plants all died within weeks. So much for invasiveness.

     Maybe Ribbon Grass is invasive under some conditions but not others.
I had it at one time in Lexington, KY.  It was extremely invasive there.
It was so aggressive it managed to infiltrate a patch of Hemerocallis
fulva, the common wild (naturalized) Daylily of the eastern US.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, FL.