Re: yellow Japanese?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: yellow Japanese?
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 18:35:33 -0700 (MST)

> A knowledgeable gardener (more than me most of the time!) and friend has
> been telling me for the past two years that there are yellow japanese
> iris.  I pooh-pooh him, but can anyone comment?

     As far as TRUE Japanese Irises go, there is no yellow.  Some
unreputable source market Iris pseudacorus as a yellow Japanese Iris.
However, there are some hybrids between the Japanese Irises and Iris
pseudacorus that do have yellow blooms.
     I grew one of these of awhile in Kentucky.  The name of the plant was
AICHI-NO-KAGYAKI.  It had a growth habit like a Japanese Iris, and had pale
yellow flowers that had traits of both a Japanese Iris and Iris
pseudacorus.  It bloomed (what few times it did) at the beginning of the
Japanese Iris season.  The foliage always looked chlorotic.  Even frequent
applications of Miracid did little to make the foliage look healthier.
     In Kentucky, the foliage became increasingly "grassy."  Dividing it
did not help.  The plant slowly dwindled away.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, FL.