Poppies

We have had considerable discussion about plants to mix with irises.
One suggestion was johnny-jump-ups.  A curse in my view.  They spread
everywhere, at the end of the summer they cover the irises and greatly
reduce air flow and therefore leaf spot, and generally are an
uncontrollable mess.   They also increase in abundance each year. The
only good thing about then is that people passing in the street love
them and carry large clumps away whilst expressing great thanks.  I just
hope that they forget the giver by the next year.

Poppies on the other hand are ideal, particularly P. somniferum.  Our US
friends are plagued with the police seeking out sin wherever they can
find it.  Mention has been made on the list about them pulling up Cleome
from the parks, assuming it to me pot, and seeking out the poppies.  I
have, on the other hand, been working on a Canadian approach.  A friend
of our children has a new home on five acres and no plants.  I have fed
her cutting and roots of irises and other plants so that she can start a
garden.  Along with these gifts has been about two ounces of somniferum
seeds, enough to cover the whole of the eastern seaboard.  Next year,
she will have garden parties in her garden with glorious pink flowers in
abundance!

I forgot to mention that she is a mountie (Royal Canadian Mounted
Police) officer and most of her friends are policemen and women.
Arrests are unlikely!

Ian, in Ottawa where he is just trying to help the cause.