OT - Re: Poppies

Ian E. & Shirley Efford wrote:
> We have had considerable discussion about plants to mix with irises.
> One suggestion was johnny-jump-ups.  A curse in my view.  They spread
> everywhere, at the end of the summer they cover the irises and greatly
> reduce air flow and therefore leaf spot, and generally are an
> uncontrollable mess.

Ian, another instance of what Claire called "a splendid example of a
plant behaving quite differently in different zones" -- &, I would add,
different soil types. Johnny-jumpups DO spread a lot here but they don't
cover the irises or anything else, don't get dense enough to reduce air
flow or promote leaf spot or any other kind of rot -- but then I've got
really dry conditions, lots of wind & the iris beds I let the J-j's romp
around in are located in intense sunlight.

Glad you approve of poppies tho & love your "Canadian approach" to
sharing them around -- up the revolution! Power to the people!
Especially gardeners just trying to grow the pretty flowers...

Marte in the mtns	Zone 4/Sunset 1  Colorado