Re: Iris Compatible Plants (poppies)

Good evening,  :)

Marte, I would like to comment on your suggestion of scattering poppy seeds
in your iris.  I know you live in Colorado and poppies may not thrive well
there but in warmer climates the poppy does thrive.  I also know you are not
speaking of the p. somniferum variety but others on the list may not realize
the difference.  A friend of mine grows p. somniferum and he has told me
they reach 5 feet in height.  That might block a lot of sun and air
movement.  Also my friend has told me that the p. somniferum only needs to
be weeded while young because as it gets older the foliage becomes so thick
the weeds can't compete.  I know I wouldn't want them in my iris beds!
And I am assuming that is what you are saying, you scatter them in your iris
beds.  If someone planted a poppy other than the California then problems
might arise.  This was my concern when reading you post.

A little off the subject, but reading on the internet the other night I
learned that one of our "big national" museums in our capital city,
Washington, D.C., has a papaver somniferum (opium poppy) garden out in front
of the building and that publicly paid employees take care of this garden.
?????
Interesting!!

Glenn

Glenn & Linda Simmons  Springfield, Missouri
e-mail glennsimmons@msn.com or
gsimmons1@juno.com or lindaAsimmons@juno.com