Re: Iris Compatible Plants (poppies)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris Compatible Plants (poppies)
  • From: Irisborer@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 02:12:47 -0700 (MST)

>p. somniferum variety but others on the list may not realize
>the difference.  A friend of mine grows p. somniferum and he has told me
>they reach 5 feet in height.  That might block a lot of sun and air
>movement.  Also my friend has told me that the p. somniferum only needs to
>be weeded while young because as it gets older the foliage becomes so thick
>the weeds can't compete.

I also grow poppies in my iris beds... mainly because they DO allow good air
circulation and plenty of sun to shine through.  I plant alpines and shirley-
types with no problem.  They self seed if you don't deadhead regularly, but
it's not a problem (they pull up easily where you don't want them).

As for p. somniferum, I have to laugh at the notion of them getting 5 feet
high!  Maybe in another climate - but here they're a very manageable 12 inches
or so with that sweet puff ball flower.  Foliage color is wonderful and the
seed pods are delightful as well.  And I'm the person who has the chief of
police who cleans her gutters... he's never cast a suspicious eye on my cleome
OR poppies.

Kathyguest.... E. Aurora, NY