Re: Iris Compatible Plants (poppies)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris Compatible Plants (poppies)
  • From: ECPep@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 08:24:27 -0700 (MST)

In a message dated 98-02-26 04:18:46 EST, Kathy Guest writes:

<< As for p. somniferum, I have to laugh at the notion of them getting 5 feet
 high!  Maybe in another climate - but here they're a very manageable 12
 or so with that sweet puff ball flower >>

That is how it is here, one zone colder.  However, papaver somniferum in the
species form is single and varies all over the garden in size.  In the
relatively dry soils that grow bearded iris they would be quite short - 12 -
24 inches. With watering and fertilzer. they grow taller and have more
flowers.  Five feet is a stretch, I have never looked an opium poppy in the
eye.  Where did that happen?

Claire Peplowski