SPEC: I. minutoaurea--from Clarence

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: SPEC: I. minutoaurea--from Clarence
  • From: Henryanner <Henryanner@aol.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:52:26 -0700 (MST)

Greetings:

Clarence Mahan responded to us this morning with the following:
------------------------------------
My minutoaurea clump is totally dormant at present, so I cannot go out an see
the leaves.  But they do have midribs, as I recall---do not recall seeing the
purple-based foliage, but they are so small I might well have missed it.

If you move, or obtain, I strongly recommend early spring with as little
disturbance of the roots as possible.  Do not divide into single pieces, but
cut off small clumps by inserting knife into ground so collateral roots are
not injured, and leave as much soil on the division as possible.

My best success has been with "loose" clay, i.e. clay soil into which compost
and other friable material has been mixed over the years.  Good drainage is
need.

One never knows with this plant.  One a previous attempt it seemed to be doing
fine, and had formed a nice clump, but when spring came, it did not
reappear---just gone!  The time before that Suky and I had it planted in a
bonsai container, where it grew into a nice clump which we, foolishly, divided
into single rhizomes in June---lost every one!  I just hope my clump which
bloomed profusely last spring comes back this year---
Anner Whitehead, Richmond,Va
Henryanner@aol.com