Re: Is it Spring Yet?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Is it Spring Yet?
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:41:24 -0700 (MST)

Henryanner@aol.com wrote:

> Griff, what borer activity are you seeing out there, precisely? I have some
> chewed leaves on some potted stuff but I assumed I was seeing slug action. Its
> found only on the potted stuff that wintered in the liriope under the
> magnolia. How far advanced do you think things are?

Anner -- Please pardon my slowness in responding. Just came in from
pulling off more pine straw after getting home from work. I may be wrong
(hopefully) about what looks like borer damage. There are big chunks
(i.e., up to 1/4" in diameter)taken out of the edges of some fans closer
to the base than to the tip. I checked the stalks below the damage for
borers already inside, but couldn't detect any. Do slugs do the kind of
damage I've described? Much rather deal with them than with borers.

How far advanced? You may recall that I sounded an early spring alarm
and started spraying the last weekend of February last year. This year,
I think we're a week earlier than that, and if the rain would have let
me get the pine straw off sooner, I'd be spraying already. All the stuff
under the pine needles looks good, and it comes off readily. There's
been no heaving this year, but there haven't been any really hard
freezes, either. The wooly aphids have been on the plants for more than
2 weeks. I've heard they do no damage, but I suspect they spread leaf
spot.

When is Fredericksburg's spring show?

jgcrump@erols.com