Is it Spring Yet? Borer, buds, bugs...

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Is it Spring Yet? Borer, buds, bugs...
  • From: Henryanner <Henryanner@aol.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 19:30:12 -0700 (MST)

Griff Crump said:

<< Anner -- Please pardon my slowness in responding. Just came in from
pulling off more pine straw after getting home from work. I may be wrong
(hopefully) about what looks like borer damage. There are big chunks  (i.e.,
up to 1/4" in diameter)taken out of the edges of some fans closer  to the base
than to the tip. I checked the stalks below the damage for  borers already
inside, but couldn't detect any. Do slugs do the kind of  damage I've
described? Much rather deal with them than with borers.>>

Thank you, Griff. I really don't know about those holes. I had hoped you might
tell me. I see some damage but I don't see any bleeding or anything else
suspicious and I don't see any holes in the irises in the bed, only in the
pots that were under the tree. The slugs have been active on and off all
winter here and I they may well have hunkered down under that remay fabric and
pine boughs.

<< How far advanced? You may recall that I sounded an early spring alarm  and
started spraying the last weekend of February last year. This year,  I think
we're a week earlier than that, and if the rain would have let  me get the
pine straw off sooner, I'd be spraying already.>>

I have decided we are advanced about two weeks here, maybe three, but whereas
some of the plants seem overstimulated, the really hardy and established ones
like the peonies are right on schedule. In any case it all tends to level out
and seek the norm as the season continues. Like last year. Or so I hope.

<< All the stuff under the pine needles looks good, and it comes off readily.
 been no heaving this year, but there haven't been any really hard freezes,
My ground froze a few times but in general the irises from under the pine
boughs look fine considering the amount of rain we've had. Only thing I know
I've lost is a puny variegated pallida--the blue and white striped one--and
those things aren't terribly vital for me anyway, although one bloomed last

Most of my roses did not fully defoilate this year and Safrano has buds on it
now. In my garden the phlox Miss Lingard has broken dormancy as has the
Clematis montana and the Lysimachia ephemerum. The Madonna lily's stalks are
beginning to elongate, and the tree peonies' buds are swelling. The crows have
not started building their nest in the magnolia, but they will the first week
of March when the big winds come. I missed watching them in the snow that
never came this year.

<< The wooly aphids have been on the plants for more than 2 weeks. I've heard
they do no damage, but I suspect they spread leaf spot.>>

I've seen aphids on and off throughout the winter on warm days. Little
wretches. I saw a ladybug today wheeling around on a scabiosa that a neighbor
has on the south side in full sun. She was very merry and very red.
<< When is Fredericksburg's spring show?>>

May 16, but the place has not been announced yet.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, Va Zone 7-urban
Henry Hall henryanner@aol.com