Re: NO yellow JI !

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: NO yellow JI !
  • From: Ensata <Ensata@aol.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:13:54 -0700 (MST)

There are no yellow Japanese Iris  (I. ensata).

There are some species cross plants:  I. pseudacorus x I. ensata
most (*) have yellow flowers (various shades) with obvious mixture of traits
from both parents.  (especially the presence of standards that can be seen!
(pseudacorus has tiny 1/4 inch, usually incurved, narrow blades for

(*)Pixie Won is violet with white styles ... a white pseudacorus x purple
(*)I have some pink seedlings ...  a white pseudacorus x pink ensata.
(*) Sayo No Tsuki  is white with a purple halo.

All known crosses (except one) have yellow, chlorotic foliage.  Chance Beauty
has dark green foliage, looking like a tetraploid pseudacorus foliage, and the
plant, 4 ft branched stalks, and large yellow flowers, all perform like a
tetraploid pseudacorus.  but there are large standards and interesting brown
veining that suggests an influence of another species and probably I. ensata.
Even if the one parent is ensata, we can't call it a yellow japanese iris.  It
is a Species-X.  Or "pseudacorus cross".

Some of the named clones of yellow, pseudacorus x ensata are:   Kimboshi,
Aichi-No-Kagayaki, Hatsuho (tet.), all have yellow foliage.   The Spring Hill
and Wayside catalogs show a picture of Aichi-No-Kagayaki, but all that I know
that have ordered plants have received pure  I. pseudacorus !    They get
their pictures from one warehouse of photos and buy their plants from other
warehouses.  I would doubt that any of their officers have ever seen the
plants bloom, that they are selling, and compared them to the photos in their

John Coble at Ensata Gardens
Zone 5,  Michigan