Northwest Hybridizers

Someone asked about Marky Smith.  Yes, Marky is in Yakima, about 90
miles directly South of me.  She mostly does Medians, and is really
becoming famous for her work.  She eliminated many last year to make
room for her hybridizing program.  When visiting her garden two years
ago I fell heir to a few of her things.  Lucky me!  She was very
generous.  With the loss of Gordon Plough some years ago, the others who
are nearby are Merle Daling in Waterville and Merle Roberts in Grand
Coulee.  I don't think Daling is doing much anymore, but Roberts is a
newcomer who had some interesting things in his seedling patch last
year.  He's so new at this but has introduced some good stuff, his first
being COLUMBIA SPRINGS in '96.  His things are well grown.  I've not
heard anything new about Jack Boushay, but believe that he has given up
on hybridizing.  At least we don't hear anything of him and he never
makes an appearance at Regional meetings.  Too bad.  He did some great
things.  Aside from these I don't believe there's anyone else on this
side of the Cascades.  If I've missed someone, I apologize.

Lorraine Miller,  LORRAINE'S IRIS PATCH, Quincy