Re: Companion Plants

Ryan S. Carter wrote:
> Irisers,
>         I have been getting the beds ready for bloom, weeding, taking out
> the old dead iris leaves (it seems to get rid of most of the borers) and
> now I am going to re-sand and fertilize my five beds. But first I will
> plant some seeds in my beds for companion plants. I will plant
> Johnny-Jump-Ups and Shirley Poppies, (and maybe California Poppies) but are
> there any other plants to use? I was thinking the Annual Larkspur, is that
> a good plant? Any suggestions?
> Ryan Carter
> Five beds of irises, one hundred varieties
> Half and half medians and TB's.
> Winchester, VA
> birddog@mnsinc.com
> Youth Chairman of C & P Iris Society
Ryan, I like Coral Bells with iris. "Palace Purple" is a particularly
nice one as it has a mottled green foliage and gets bronze  as the
season goes on. The flowers are light and airy and it does not invade
the iris. Generally blooms for a long time and even going by it is
attractive. I would think they would grow well for you in the South but
someone may actually let us know. Debby Wheeler (in New England where
here on the Vt. line, we still have  at least a foot of snow on
everything. Spring can not come soon enough for me!)