Re: Companion Plants

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Companion Plants
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 19:12:44 -0700 (MST)

I was thinking the Annual Larkspur, is that
> a good plant? Any suggestions?
     If I am correct, the Annual Larkspur doesn't like heat, and thus is
better suited to the Pacific Northwest and the New England states.
     The Coralbells suggested by Debby Wheeler would be a good choice.
They grew very good for me in Kentucky, and should do well in your part of
Virginia.  This plant is perennial, and has a long bloom season, and is not
invasive.  It will slowly increase, and since the crowns can work their way
out of the soil, should be re-set about every third year in August.  I
would recommend a type smaller than PURPLE PALACE.  The common pink form is

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, FL.     Too far south for Coralbells.  [Heuchera]