CULT: companion plants

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: companion plants
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 09:27:43 -0700 (MST)

Ryan Carter in Virginia said:
> I was thinking the Annual Larkspur, is that
> a good plant?

As you can gather from the poppy as companion thread, growth varies all
over the place for most plants depending on climate and soil, but for
me, annual larkspur is a great companion, as are the tall, orange
cosmos.  They self sow for me every year and are airy enough not to
bother the irises.  However, most of my soil is full of gravel so tends
to be quite droughty (I don't irrigate) as temperatures warm up which is
about the time the larkspurs and irises are blooming.  I don't know what
either of these plants would be like in more moisture retentive soil
(e.g, regular garden loam).

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
early 'wild' daffodils in full bloom, a few early narcissus that usually
get frozen are also blooming, red maples starting to look hazy red,
peach buds swelling.  I figure in about 2 or 3 weeks el Nino will
suddenly stop and a polar express will come down here and give us a good
15 - 20o freeze and put a stop to all this.