Re: help! aphids? fungus?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: help! aphids? fungus?
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 17:38:29 -0700 (MST)

Dennis Kramb wrote:
> The main fan on
> each rhyzome seems to be dying.  I pulled off the leaves and underneath
> the green leaves (which were brown at the tips) I found dead leaves which
> were brown, wet, and gooey.  On some of these I also found very small
> green bugs and slightly larger gray bugs...which I presume are aphids at
> different stages of development.  And some areas of the leaves had some
> white fuzzy patches.  One rhyzome is soft at the base of the main fan,
> but otherwise firm and healthy
> What should I do to save the rhyzomes and prevent this from spreading to
> the increases, and also from spreading to my other iris patches throughout
> my yard?

Dennis -- This sounds like Erwinia. Often as a result of freezing, but
not necessarily, the central rhizome, particularly, is hit by a
bacterial infection. Cut out the infected part, roots and all, as best
you can. Then spray the exposed cut rhizomes that remain with a 20% or
stronger bleach solution and don't put dirt back on top of the cut
surface. Let the sun and air in. This may cost you this year's bloom,
but it will usually save your plant. Good luck.

Griff Crump, along the tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon, VA, where rain
held off long enough to get the pine straw off the new beds and most of
the iris fed some Rabbit Chow. Downpour just hit as I write this. Now
need a spell of dry days so I can bathe everything in Cygon 2E (borers)
and Daconil (leaf spot). jgcrump@erols.com