OT: Coralbells

> Debby, how I envy you your climate! Our garden gurus say to plant Coral
> Bells in semi-shade. It would not work well with our irises, except those
> that like shade, I guess.
>
> celia
> storey@aristotle.net
> Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b

Celia,
     When in Kentucky, I had Coralbells in both semi-shade and full sun
locations.  Those in full sun did better.  In Little Rock, with its longer
summers and higher sun angle, I am certian the semi-shade is better.  In
shorter summer or cooler climates, they would do better with more sun.  It
looks to me that the reason they will not grow here is not the heat so
much, as the lack of a winter cold period.  In climates for which they are
suitable, Coralbells are an excellent plant.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, FL.