Re: HYB: CAMELOT ROSE x Blue Plicata

  • Subject: Re: HYB: CAMELOT ROSE x Blue Plicata
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 07:30:38 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Sharon McAllister wrote
> 2.      That blue plicata would have to be VERY carefully selected.  From
> its appearance alone, we know that it doesn't have full anthocyanidin
> distribution.  From its pedigree and analysis of its parents and sibs, we'd
> also want to know that it carries the requisite potential for yellow and
> pink but doesn't express them because it also carries a carotenoid
> inhibitor.

So the lack of blue pigment in the middle of the falls of a bleu plicata
is due to a pattern that has lack of full anthocyanin distribution NOT
due to suppression of anthocyanins?  Those aren't the same thing?  I
think I've forgotten everything I learned onlist genetics 101.

Here's what I was thinking: I thought the plicata pattern suppressed the
expression of anthocyanin pigments in the center of the fall and that
the 'umbrata' pattern in CAMELOT ROSE suppressed the anthocyanins in the
rim of its falls.  But I also thought the background color on CR was
pink, hence my assumption that the anthocyanins were suppressed
everywhere but in the shadow/wash/giantspot pattern on the fall.

But, even following my own logic using these erroneous assumptions, I
forgot that the plicata would also have to have the pink genes.  Is
there such a beast?

Linda Mann