HYB: Plicatas, Luminatas & Zonals

  • Subject: HYB: Plicatas, Luminatas & Zonals
  • From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:08:48 -0500

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Jan Clark wrote:

>  Does a cv have to have plicata ancestry to come up with luminata's (or
>  for that matter Glaciatas) in it's offspring? I thought the answer to
>  this would be no, as the luminata is a different expression of the
>  plicata gene. Surely a cv could carry pl-lu genes without having any pl
>  genes in its ancestry. Is there something wrong with this thinking?

The simple answer is no -- but the practical answer is yes.  The population
trend is toward heterozygosity (sp?) and most clones that are homozygous
for a specific trait, like glaciatas, result from selective breeding.  So a
cultivar could carry pl-lu genes but no pl genes -- even though it DOES
have plicata ancestry.  The question is how many generations back.  That's
why we analyze ancestry to determin potential and offspring to understand
actual composition.

>  That
>  is why I asked what would happen if I crossed a 'zonal' with a luminata.

>  Has anyone done this?
>  Walter? Bill? Sharon? ..........is there anyone out there?  :-))

I haven't tried this -- although surely someone else has.  All of my recent
work has been with arils and arilbreds, with the zonal pattern an important
one that lets aril characteristics come through.  Evidence suggests that
all three patterns were in the foundation stock of modern halfbreds.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com