Re: CULT: AB Winter Hardiness

  • Subject: Re: CULT: AB Winter Hardiness
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 18:28:15 -0800

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Like Cecilia, I checked my arilbred plantings after Dennis Kramb's
report.  What I'm seeing is no losses at all and more new growth
on about 80% of the ABs.  The response to our continued warm
weather and now a rain is much more rapid than on the other
beardeds.  Probably this is not good, since it still is very early and
with every warm day, the chances increase that bloom will be lost
to a freeze.  Those that are segueing into their second and third
year here are particularly anxious to get started, but even some of
last year's rhizomes are growing rapidly.  For the most part, nearly
all had several increases with only one or two exceptions, so unless
later weather takes them out, they are off to a good start.  The two
aril/aril hybrids I obtained are looking good as well, somewhere toward
the middle of the class.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7