Re: HYB: Plicatas, Luminatas & Zonals

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Plicatas, Luminatas & Zonals
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 16:58:27 PST

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

I wrote:>>  Does a cv have to have plicata ancestry to come up with
luminata's (or for that matter Glaciatas) in it's offspring? ..etc.
and Sharon wrote:
>The simple answer is no -- but the practical answer is yes..<snip>..
> a cultivar could carry pl-lu genes but no pl genes -- even though it
DOES have plicata ancestry.

Thanks for the answer Sharon. I know you don't breed TB's but you are
our acknowledged genetics expert. The fault in my thinking was that a
luminata would have pl-lu,pl-lu,pl-lu,pl-lu,
but Jeff tells me that there can actually be a mixture of pl-lu and pl
at the plicata locus, in 'fancies', as neither is dominant.
Next question - is there a difference in appearance between a 'fancy'
with say - 1 pl-lu gene and 3 pl, and another cv with 1 pl gene and 3
pl-lu genes?

>>what would happen if I crossed a 'zonal' with a luminata.
>>  Has anyone done this?
>I haven't tried this -- although surely someone else has.
Looks as if this will be a 'curiosity' cross for 1999, and a project for
the next few years.
The problem with zonals and luminatas is compounded by catalogues which
label irises as one or the other, or neither. (same with glaciatas) I
have seen CYCLES called a luminata in a catalogue, but would call it a
zonal myself. Anyone on friendly terms with Keith Keppel, and could ask
him these difficult questions???

Cheers, Jan Clark, in Australia, where KK visited and if I had a 'pushy'
nature I could have gone to Barry Blyth's nursery and asked him all
these questions myself!