Re: SPEC: I. cretensis

  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. cretensis
  • From: StorYlade@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:03:49 EST

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 2/2/1999 1:03:34 PM Central Standard Time,
dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net writes:

<<  Sometimes
 I wish I was just a big fuzzy bee!  Pollenating would be so much easier.
 :) >>

Dennis, if you really want to feel more like a bee you can rake that pollen
off with your finger.  Unlike people that carry around a supply of camel's
hair brushs, I like a hands on approach.  With detachable anthers, I trap the
anther against my ring finger with my thumb and drag the anther down between
the two leaving pollen on the tip end of my finger.

Then I roll the pollen behind the stigmatic lip.  When you have pollen from
more than one iris to contend with, you need to be very sure you remove all
the pollen from the first one from your hands.  Same is true of camel hair
brushes.  If I'm having a really serious day, I take a bottle of rubbing
alcohol with me to clean my hands.  Otherwise I wash my hands.  Either will
remove/disable the pollen.

Congratulations!  It has been confirmed.  You have a true case of 'iris
fever'--cure unknown!

Betty from Kentucky.