Re: SPEC: I. cretensis

  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. cretensis
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 14:30:02 -0800

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Dennis Kramb wrote:

> Oh, and one other thing.  I was tricked!  The anther is ATTACHED to the
> style arm.  All my other irises that I've pollenated were easy.  I just
> plucked off the anther with some tweezers and then smeared it over the
> stigmatic lip.  With this cretensis, I had to scrape the pollen off gently
> with a flat screwdriver and then dump it into the stigmatic lip.  Sometimes
> I wish I was just a big fuzzy bee!  Pollenating would be so much easier.

I find a supply of round toothpick works really well. Dampen the end with a
saliva, collect some pollen on it and wipe it on the stigmatic lip. Move on to
the next flower, clean the toothpick as a function of remoistening it. (or
toss and use a new one)

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones