Re: SPEC: "Harmony"

  • Subject: Re: SPEC: "Harmony"
  • From: Irisborer@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 06:08:37 EST

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 2/2/1999 11:08:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
irisman@mindspring.com writes:

<< Now since I don't "do" species at all, what do I most likely have?  They
are
 a dark violet, with lighter standards and little yellow flecking on the fall
 centers at about 4.5" tall.  Cute lil thangs for bloom.  ;)

Gary... you have Iris reticulata - and they are cubic cute, fer sher.

And, the nice thing about reticulatas is that they're easy as can be to
force..... and they also grow very nicely outside.

Bulbs are readily available in the fall at most nurseries that carry bulbs (or
mail order).  I pot them up 6 to a small pot.... water slightly, and put the
entire box in my mudroom - covered so no light gets in.

As you discovered, they will bloom in about 3 days to a week when you take
them out of the box and bring them into light and warmth.

Easy and lovely color for garden shows.

Kathy Guest.... who wishes she had had the foresight this year.....